Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2012
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    516
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    I was using 16 Ohm attenuators from parts express but if I remember it was better sounding without them. I have since parted ways with the "Lets stick stadium sized speakers in our 11 x 14 living room because it's impressive" mentality in turn for something with crystal clarity and an openness that is quite pleasing. I just hang out here now because they're good folk.

    Cradeldorf,

    Good enough !! Your input on this post was helpful to all of us. Thanks.

    Now, someone in the HIFI world on this Forum might combine an ALTEC N-1500a with the simple tweeter attenuation of a N-1600a. They should be encouraged to try because we see ALTEC was previously using (a) 6 dB slopes and (b) series drive for a 604 driver.

    In my lifetime, I have seen speaker manufacturers change crossover designs, changing their best sounding designs for reasons UNrelated to the performance capability. My betting money goes on this as sounding superb. Whos ready to build it?? I don't use a 604 or I would in a heartbeat.

    Jeff Medwin

  2. #22
    Hostboard Member vyju's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2005
    Posts
    56
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

    Hi,

    A friend recently tried the Altec 1600 crossover with his 414B and 802 combination. He used the schematic shown on the JELabs website.

    JE Labs: January 2014

    He says it is a big improvement over his earlier first order parallel crossover.

    I would like to try a series crossover with my Altec 515B in Bill Woods half horn (V vent) cabinet and 288 G with LeCleach 400hz horn combination .

    Can someone help me design a simple first order series crossover (around 800hz)? IS there an online calculator for series crossovers?

    Regards
    Rajiv

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

    Just saw this and responding without reading the posts, so apologize for any redundancy, but high SQ digital signal processing is by far the best overall IME; otherwise due to the nature of parallel Vs series, I consider parallel is for high power [PA] apps and series for high SQ, especially if driven with a high output impedance [whether tube or just adding series resistance].

    Since manufacturers need to protect themselves from excessive warranty claims, parallel is a 'no brainer' choice for them.

    GM

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by vyju View Post
    Can someone help me design a simple first order series crossover (around 800hz)? IS there an online calculator for series crossovers?
    Wish I had time to fiddle with this, but as a general rule WRT 1st order XOs is that 'simple' and [compression] horn drivers are mutually exclusive if done right, which means measuring each driver's frequency, impedance, phase response and the parts count generally is way more than an inductor and capacitor.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2012
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    516
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

    Quote Originally Posted by vyju View Post
    Hi,

    A friend recently tried the Altec 1600 crossover with his 414B and 802 combination. He used the schematic shown on the JELabs website.

    JE Labs: January 2014

    He says it is a big improvement over his earlier first order parallel crossover.

    I would like to try a series crossover with my Altec 515B in Bill Woods half horn (V vent) cabinet and 288 G with LeCleach 400hz horn combination .

    Can someone help me design a simple first order series crossover (around 800hz)? IS there an online calculator for series crossovers?

    Regards
    Rajiv
    In my Original Post, I mentioned Dominique Tanguy. He has a French Language SERIES calculator posted on line. If you can't find it, let me know and I will help you.

    First Order ( 6 dB/octave) SERIES is VERY easy to implement. I also show a 2nd Order SERIES and Parallel for reference, perhaps NOT at your desired Z and Hz.

    Have fun, Series can sound excellent with good wideband drivers...

    LowOhms aka ...........Jeff Medwin

  5. #25
    Hostboard Member vyju's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2005
    Posts
    56
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

    Hi,

    Thank you GM and Jeff for your replies.

    Jeff, I have not been able to find the French website with the series crossover calculator you mentioned. Could you please post the link.

    Regards
    Rajiv

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member aditya's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 5th, 2009
    Posts
    175
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

    Rajiv,

    For 1st order 'series' networks, the component values are the same as the 1st order parallel types.
    For 2nd order 'series' networks, the 'L' value is half & the 'C' value is twice that of a 2nd order parallel type.

    Hope this helps in calculating your own needed values.

    Aditya

  7. #27
    Hostboard Member vyju's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2005
    Posts
    56
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

    Hi,

    Aditya,thank you. Your post will certainly help.

    Regards
    Rajiv

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2012
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    516
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

    The two thumbnail schematics I posted in this thread show the Series-Parallel differences very clearly. Have fun, 'wait till you hear it !!!

    Remember to WIRE the runs from the crossover to the ALTEC drivers well, so as to maintain dynamics.

    I would suggest you use DOUBLE 12 AWG runs ( 2 12AWG to the positive, 2 12AWG to the negative ) to the woofer. The 12 AWG wire is Mil Spec, copper stranded 19 runs of 25 AWG, silver plated, teflon shielded M22759/11-12, etc, available inexpensively from Apex Jr. in CA.

    To the compression driver, 2 runs minimum in parallel of 19 AWG solid silver wire, to each terminal. IF you have an adequate budget, Kimber AGSS, doubled up, is really nice to run the ALTEC top end drivers, for maximum possible sound quality. Takes several hundreds of dollars to do AGSS doubled-up.

    This approach, I find to be optimal if you value dynamic contrasting, and not just a polite sound. Most ALTEC users, I would imagine, sub-optimize the internal wire to their drivers.

    LowOhms .... Jeff Medwin

  9. #29
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Series Crossovers for ALTEC


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

    Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Most ALTEC users, I would imagine, sub-optimize the internal wire to their drivers.

    LowOhms .... Jeff Medwin
    Jeff your opinions on wire are exactly that. I really don't want to see another wire discussion. Please don't start them.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  10. #30
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Series Crossovers for ALTEC

    OR LET'S HAVE A THREAD ON THE SUBJECT WITH VERIFIED SCIENCE VERSUS CONJECTURE!
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.